Sunday, June 12, 2011

Where it all started...

This is a story, all about how, my life got twisted upside down...So, I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there, to tell you about a little car, who I named Bernard. 

Creativity has always been in my blood, but not my strong suit. I've tried journaling, doing an art journal, painting pottery, and painting canvas, drawing....I feel like I've tried it all, but I never found my knack. I'm definitely not an organized person, and I love to procrastinate, so actually starting a cake decorating class, that I had thought about doing for the past 3 years, seemed like a dream. (especially since our class got postponed 2 times due to bad weather) The day finally came when I was able to start my non-credit Cake Decorating class at Metro Community College here in Omaha.  And, who would have thunk, it turned out to be AWESOME and exactly the outlet that I needed for my creativity. 

Ok, back to Bernard...  Bernard is the name of my 1974 Super Beetle.  (I actually name all of my cars, because I feel that it gives them a personality all of their own, and actually, it can be quite fun to see what personality they decide to take on, after they have been named.)  Anyways, I've wanted a VW Bug (the old style), since I was old enough to know what a car was. But, every time that I bought a car, it had to be a practical car.  Until the time finally came, when I could get a VW Bug and then buy a 'good' car when winter got a little closer.  Well, that didn't turn out to be the exact case, as Bernard caused some problems in the beginning, but all is well, and I love him!  I always have a big cheesy grin on my face when I drive him, and my favorite is when I see someone smack another person (playing the game Slug Bug) when I drive past.

Well, it turns out that Bernard was not only my dream car, but also my inspiration for cake decorating.  On the first day of Cake Decorating class, I got to decorate a cake with Bernard on it.  (see below)  Bernard is also the inspiration of the name of my Bakery...Slug Bug Bakery.  (My husband actually came up with this awesome name, after I told him that I wanted to incorporate my love for VW Bugs into the logo).


So, there you have it. That's how it all started, and now I can't stop.  I'm still learning a great deal, and improving every day, but I love the opportunity to practice.  The old saying always has been, and always will be, "Practice Makes Perfect".

No comments:

Post a Comment